Issue of Certificates
Graduates are provided with one original certificate following completion of their course and confirmation of their award by the examination board. At the time of issue all financial obligations to the University must have been met, otherwise the certificate will be withheld until the outstanding fees have been paid. Once the debt has been paid, please contact email@example.com
Certificates are issued by one of the following methods:
- posted to a graduate's 'home address' as detailed on their student record (this is not your term time or correspondence address) PLEASE NOTE IT IS THE GRADUATES' RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THEIR CURRENT ADDRESS IS CORRECT ON E-VISION.
- available for collection, on pre-arranged dates, in the week following the Summer Graduation Ceremonies.
- For students at overseas study centres; your parchment will be available to collect from your study centre directly.
Certificates are posted to European addresses, by standard airmail, providing we have a complete address including postcode and PO Box numbers, if applicable.
Certificates will NOT be posted to Non-European addresses unless we receive a completed Certificate request form
Graduates can request to have their certificate posted to an alternative address to their 'home address'. To do this you must complete the Certificate request form as soon as you receive your final results.
The completed request form should be returned either:
- by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- handed to staff at The Gateway, City Campus Edinburgh Buliding, City Campus, Sunderland
- by post to University of Sunderland, Academic Administration, Room 203, Edinburgh Building, Chester Road, Sunderland. Tyne & Wear, SR1 3SD, UK.
University policy states that if you have not received your original certificate and you have not contacted us within 6 months of gaining your award, a reprint fee of £35 will be charged.
If you wish your certificate to be posted by recorded delivery or courier, please email email@example.com as soon as your award has been confirmed. Please note, there will be a charge for this service.
Obtaining 'verified photocopies' of your original certificate
Graduates can only have one original certificate, however you can request 'verified photocopies'. The first five requested are free, for any additional copies required a fee of £10 per copy will be payable, a maximum of 10 copies can be requested.
To do this you must photocopy your original and send the copies either to:
- Academic Administration Services, Room 203, Second Floor, Edinburgh Building, Chester Road, Sunderland, SR1 3SD, UK.
- hand them to staff at the Gateway Reception on City Campus, Sunderland
Alternatively you can scan a copy of your certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants must pay if applicable, by one of the following methods;
- In person - at the payments desk in Gateway, City Campus, Sunderland
- By phone - contact the Revenue Section on 0191 515 2455
Please supply an address for return of your 'verified' copies. Each copy will be stamped with the wording 'certified true copy of the orginal document' and signed and dated by a member of staff from Academic Administration Services.
Notarisation, Legalisation and the Apostille stamp
Notarisation is the legal form of certification, to certify that a document or signature is authentic.
Legalisation is the process by which the Foreign and Commonwealth Office attaches an apostille (certificate) to a UK public document. Legalisation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on a public document is genuine. It does not authenticate the content of the document. Legalisation is usually required by foreign authorities before they will allow a UK document to be used for official purposes in their country. The UK does not require any documents to be legalised for use within the UK.
For further information please download (word) Notarisation, legalisation and the apostille stamp