The Market Research team conducts extensive market analyses throughout the academic year to support forward planning with particular focus on:
- Informing targeted recruitment activity
- Enhancing our understanding of the higher education markets in which the University operates
- Informing product (programme) development activity
Accessing existing data
We use a number of different data sources in our research:
- HESA student number data (which must only be used for planning purposes within the University and not for any external purpose)
- UCAS applicant data
- Internal University data, such as applicants' or new students' profiles
An example of how data is used can be seen in Subject Trend Data 2002/03 to 2010/11 which identifies changes in numbers of applicants and registered students by subject (based on JACS subject codes).
Please note that only University of Sunderland staff have permission to access the Subject Trend Data 2002/03 to 2010/11. (Log in required).
HESA student number data provides a wealth of information to support recruitment and portfolio planning and we aim to tailor analyses where possible to meet Faculty requirements. This is typically arranged via Faculty Academic Development Committees and Associate Deans (Recruitment and Development). If you would like more detail about how this works in a particular Faculty please either contact the relevant Associate Dean or contact the Market Research team.