National Industrial Action
The University and College Union UCU conducted two-day national industrial action on 25 and 26 May, as well as working to contract from 25 May 2016, in relation to the national dispute over the 2016/17 pay award and the employers’ final offer of 1.1%.
We are committed to offer and protect the best possible student experience and we ensured that any disruption was kept to a minimum. No part of the University closed as a result of this action.
- University Summary Statement on Managing Industrial Action
- Current Pay Negotiations
- Our pay scales
- Benefits of working here
Academic staff are asked to declare their participation or non-participation in the action by responding to an email.
Each day of industrial action for which pay is withheld reduces the amount paid towards a career average pension or pension ‘pot’. The day is also excluded from pensionable service; any death in service or incapacity provisions may not apply on that day. For most employees in the event of a short-term strike (a few days) the potential impact on the value of their pension will normally be negligible. Employees are advised to contact their pension scheme for advice, particularly if they intend to retire in the next 12 months, or wish to pay for additional pension. Please see the relevant website:
- Teachers Pensions (www.teacherspensions.co.uk). There is no option for TPS members to continue or buy back pensionable service lost due to participation in industrial action.
- Tyne & Wear Pension Fund (LGPS) (www.twpf.info). Although it would be unusual for a UCU member to be in the LGPS Pension scheme, LGPS members can opt to buy back the lost pensionable service here: https://lgpsmember.org/more/apc/lost.php. The form should be returned to Payroll, 3rd Floor, Edinburgh Building, City Campus, SR1 3SD.
- Universities Superannuation Scheme (www.uss.co.uk). USS pension scheme members who wish to preserve their pensionable membership on days they participate in industrial action must contact the USS in advance - the USS Members form (industrial action)had to be returned to Payroll by no later than 9am on 25 May 2016.
- National Employment Savings Trust (NEST) (www.nestpensions.org.uk)
This page was published on 2 May 2019