Maternity Rest Rooms
The University is committed to its duty to protect the health and safety of new and expectant mothers at work taking into consideration the relevant legislation and guidance;
- Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 (MHSW)
- Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 (the Workplace Regulations)
- Equality Act 2010
- INDG 373 HSE Guide New and Expectant Mothers who work
- Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens HSE books (2005) Infection risks to New and Expectant mothers in the workplace a guide for Employers
The University provides rest facilities for our expectant mothers and those that wish to express breast milk which is available to both staff and students. Rest facilities should be used with due respect and regard for others.
A room will soon be available on both our main campus’s in Sunderland;
Design Centre City Campus Room 210A
Reg Vardy Building St Peter’s Campus Room 406
Rest facilities are defined as designated rooms on campus in which expected mothers can rest or new mothers utilize the room to express breast milk available to both staff and students. It is important that the rooms are not utilized to deliver first aid due to the risk of cross contamination.
The oversight of use and maintenance of the facilities is led by Estates & Facilities Services.
- All spaces are covered by University HS&E guidance and policy without exception. All users are expected to use the facilities with full regard to and compliance with that policy at all times.
- The rooms are bookable by contacting Facilities help desk on extension 5153366
- The rooms are available to all staff and students of the University during normal opening hours of the buildings.
- Under normal circumstances the rooms will be used solely for the designated and primary use of rest /expressing breast milk purposes.
- If using a portable heater whilst in the room it will be the staff/students responsibility to ensure this is switched off before leaving the room.
- Staff/student must ensure before leaving the room that the room is left in a clean and tidy manner as found for other users.
- Should further supplies be required such as hand sanitizers, tissues, plastic cups or if there are any concerns please contact Estates & Facilities helpdesk.
- This guidance will be displayed in the designated rooms.
This page was published on 7 November 2019