Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content

International Agreement 2022/3

Home / Student life / International Agreement 2022/3


This Agreement is a supplementary agreement and should be read in conjunction with:

(1) the Student Handbook –Regulations, Policies and Procedures 2022/23 a copy of which can be found at University regulations

(2) Supplementary Information for International Applicants which can be found at Supplementary information

You are responsible for complying with the terms of your visa and Immigration legislation as in force at the relevant time more generally

You should ensure that you understand the Home Office’s immigration guidance and keep up to date with changes to immigration legislation and immigration rules during your time in the UK to protect your immigration status. You should be aware that the Home Office may revise its immigration rules at any time and that immigration legislation is subject to change. In order to comply with any new or revised immigration legislation and/or rules, the University may be required to make changes to its compliance policies at any time within the academic year and will endeavour to inform you when any material changes are made.

You may be required to provide evidence to the University that you are complying with the terms of this Agreement. The University has the right to withdraw you from your programme where you have not complied with the terms of this Agreement.

For all its international students, the University is required to:

  • Take and keep copies of the passport and visa/Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card/BID vignette or electronic visa waiver (EVW) for non-EEA nationals at enrolment and when your immigration documents change (e.g. following a visa extension or passport renewal).
  • Check the immigration status of EEA nationals with chipped passports by being granted access to the share code.
  • Take evidence of your journey if you entered the UK traveling through UK Immigration Control via an ‘eGate’. For example, boarding passes.
  • Hold the most up to date; address, email and telephone contact details for you, and to keep a record of any changes to these.
  • Enrol only those students who have a valid immigration status which allows study at the University.

The University’s obligations for all international students with a Student Route visa

As a Student Route Sponsor, the University is required by the Home Office to maintain a complete and up-to-date record for each of our Student Route students. As part of this, the University is required to:

  • Ensure that your personal details are kept up-to-date at all times – including changes to your name, address, telephone and email details.
  • Keep copies of your passport ID page, your visa / Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card and your ATAS certificate, (if applicable).
  • Keep in regular contact with you to ensure that we have evidence of your application for a new passport or visa while you are in the UK studying at the University.
  • Take copies of your documents every time you obtain a new passport or visa / BRP card.
  • Monitor your attendance. Failing to regularly attend classes and lectures could result in the University withdrawing you from your programme. This will result in the withdrawal of our Student Route sponsorship; you will need to return to your home country and will still be liable for tuition fees.
  • Advise the Home Office that the University has withdrawn its Student Route sponsorship if you:
    • Take a break in your studies
    • Request to leave your programme
    • Are required to withdraw from your programme
    • Do not enrol or re-enrol on your course
    • Complete your studies earlier than the course end date stated on your CAS
    • Are completing your studies in your Home Country/Externally
    • Change immigration status and you no longer require a Student Route visa
    • Fail to provide the University with your up-to-date visa, passport and Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card as well as fail to supply any new immigration documentation as/when your details change
  • Notify the Home Office of any significant changes in your circumstances, such as a transfer of course or campus or the undertaking of a placement. This will not result in the withdrawal of Student Route sponsorship.
  • Notify the Home Office if the University becomes aware that you are in breach of the terms of your visa, for example working more than 20 hours per week during term time.
  • Notify you if the University withdraws sponsorship of your Student Route visa.

Your obligations as an international student means that you are required to:

  • Adhere to all regulations and terms and conditions detailed within the University’s Student Handbook – Regulations, Policies and Procedures 2022/23;
  • Provide the University with your up-to-date visa, passport and Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card as well as supplying any new immigration documentation as and when your details change;
  • Attend any visa or passport sessions if requested to do so by the University;
  • Keep the University informed via e:Vision of any changes to your contact details. For example, if you move to a new house and/or change your email address or mobile telephone number;
  • Check your personal email account, (being the email account you advised us of on your application unless you have updated it with us), your University email account and Compass on a regular basis as this is how the University will communicate with you to request information.

Your additional obligations as an international student with a Student Route visa

In addition to the international student obligations outlined above, as an international student with a Student Route visa you are also required to:

  • Attend all lectures, classes, workshops, seminars and monthly supervision meetings (where applicable). This will be monitored in line with the University’s Student Learning and Engagement Policy along with the submission of assessments.
  • Inform the University immediately if your immigration status changes from a Student Route to any other visa type.
  • Leave the UK if your studies are interrupted and you need to take a leave of absence or withdraw or are withdrawn from your course. You are required to provide the University with a copy of your return flight ticket before departing the UK.
  • Comply with the terms of your visa (including working no more than the hours permitted and not claiming public funds)
  • Check your personal email account (being the email account you advised us of on your application unless you have updated it with us) and University email accounts on a regular basis as this is how we will communicate with you if you are at risk of being reported to the Home Office and/or to advise if you are at risk of having your Student Route sponsorship withdrawn by the University.
  • Co-operate with the University in fulfilling its Student Route duties. This includes replying to any enquiries from the University of Sunderland relating to your visa without delay.
  • Notify the Home Office if you fail to pay your tuition fees by the due date.
  • For the duration of your programme, maintain your English language skills to at least the level required for entry to the University. The University reserves the right to re-test you at any point during your programme.